The final date for consideration in Litfest is January 31, 2014.
The first Litfest was held in Spring 2003 which was also the Writers' House first year. Litfest is one of many projects that Writers' House has initiated over the years to recognize and support the undergraduate literary community at University of Maryland.
The Jiménez-Porter Literary Prize is an annual writing contest open to all University of Maryland undergraduates. The Prize is going into its ninth year, and is administered by staff at the Jiménez-Porter Writers' House. Judges read the manuscripts after names of authors have been removed, to preserve anonymity. Notable judges in years past have included Kyle Dargan, Robert Girardi, Fady Joudah, Terese Svoboda, Rod Jellema, and Antonya Nelson.
Congradulations to the winners of the 2013 Jiménez-Porter Literary Prize!
- First Place: Norine McKee for her stories "Chivalry" and "Nil Picks a Fight"
- Second Place: Stella Donovan for her story "Squatch"
- Third Place: Rhea Ramakrishnan for her story "Wings"
- First Place: Marlena Chertock for her poem “An Invisible Middle”
- Second Place: Dolapo Demuren for his poem “Song for My Mother”
- Third Place: Alexandra Leston for her poem “For My Mother, Postpartum”
The winners of the 2012 Jiménez-Porter Literary Prize:
- First Place: Nick Meriwether for his story “Apple Juice”
- Second Place: Laura Pavlo for her story “Front Lawn”
- Third Place: Lyla Lawless for her story “The Elephant”
- First Place: Dylan Bargteil for his poem “A Brown Spot”
- Second Place: Maria Zilberman for her poem “Desert Animals”
- Third Place: Brendan Edward Kennedy for his poem “The Dancer”
The deadline for Litfest submissions is February 15, 2014.